The CFA Institute Research Challenge® is sponsored by CFA Institute and locally hosted by the New York Society of Security Analysts. The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an educational initiative in which leading industry professionals teach business and finance students how to research and report on a publicly-traded company. NYSSA originated the competition twelve years ago (as the “Investment Research Challenge”) as a means to promote best practices in research among the next generation of analysts.
The Challenge spans one academic year, and consists of the following components:
- Training in Research and Report Writing: Students receive training by attending NYSSA-sponsored seminars on Insider Tools for Analysts, Presentation Skills, Report Writing, and Ethics. Seminar instructors are selected by NYSSA.
- Analysis of a Public Company: Teams research the same public company, selected by NYSSA, including a question-and-answer session with company management.
- Mentoring By a Professional Research Analyst: Each team is mentored by a professional research analyst, who reviews and critiques the team's report.
- Assessment of Written Reports: A group of volunteer graders selected from NYSSA’s membership assess the written research reports.
- First-Round Presentation to High-Profile Wall Street Experts: All teams present their research to Wall Street experts. The experts choose the “final four” who have the strongest research to present their final report.
- Final-Four Presentation to a High-Profile Wall Street Experts: The “final four” present their research to a panel of respected Wall Street experts. The winning team is selected based on the combined scores for the written report and the presentation.
The winning team advances to the Americas Regional to compete against other North American teams.
2015 Participating Universities
The deadline to participate in the 2014-2015 competition has passed. If interested in participating next year, undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to email Derly Zapata at email@example.com and provide the name and email address of the faculty advisor interested in joining the competition next year.
- Binghamton University
- College of Staten Island, CUNY
- CUNY Brooklyn College
- CUNY Queens College
- Fairfield University
- Fordham University
- Hofstra University
- Hunter College
- Iona College
- Mercy College
- Molloy College
- Montclair State University
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Pace University
- Quinnipiac University
- Rutgers University
- Seton Hall University
- St. John's University
- The College of New Jersey
- University at Albany, SUNY
2014 New York Local Final Winner
From l to r: Team Advisor Robert Fuest; Team Members Frank Kong, Prapunsak (Ta) Wongpaitoon, Charmian Cooper, Neil Dhruve, and Matthew Henriksson
2014 Final Four
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Seton Hall University
For more information on the NYC-area competition of the CFA Institute Research Challenge, please contact Derly Zapata at firstname.lastname@example.org.